Just do it! Call Optimal Locksmith Pro at (954) 376-7373, we have what it takes to get you the help that you need for your automotive, commercial, residential and emergency locksmith service needs. Don’t accept just any type of lock and key service; get the best. When you are seeking the services of the best and most effective locksmith service in Fort Lauderdale, you’re sure to be able to receive it from Optimal Locksmith Pro. Getting you the best quality of services in Fort Lauderdale is possible when you turn to our locksmiths for your service needs. Make sure you’re able to get your money’s worth by getting your locksmith service needs attended to by our service technicians. We train our locksmiths to handle even the worst lock and key problems.
If you’ve been looking to buy the best locks for your home or business, it can be daunting trying to find what’s exactly right for you. There is virtually an endless list of various types of locks: pin-tumbler locks, wall-mounted locks, bump-proof locks, high-security cylinders, lever-handled locks, interchangeable core cylinder locks, padlocks, cam locks, rim locks, mortise locks, doorknob locks, key-in-knob cylinder locks, combination locks, keycard locks, switch locks, deadbolts, biometric locks, and on and on. Some of the most recognized brands are:
When it comes to protecting your property, any expert locksmith will tell you that the best line of defense is to install deadbolt locks. The reason these premium locks are called “dead” is because they don’t have springs to operate the bolt; in other words, a deadbolt is operated manually ~ with a thumbturn or key.
Locksmith professionals most commonly recommend that you install deadbolts on all your outside doors. There are a good number of deadbolt types. The most well-known deadbolts are jimmy-proof, single-cylinder, double-cylinder, and lockable thumbturn.
- A jimmy-proof deadbolt is a surface-mount lock, which you’ll often see in an apartment building and on double doors. A surface-mount lock means that the lock screws inside the door, instead of with an intricate drill pattern, like an ordinary deadbolt. A jimmy-proof deadbolt is popular because only minor door modifications or required. In this type of deadbolt, the deadbolt interlocks with the jamb bracket. It’s a dependable lock that’s not easily pulled apart and quite difficult to force from the outside.
- A single-cylinder deadbolt lock is a regular deadbolt lock with a key cylinder on the outside, and a thumbturn on the inside to open or close it. This kind of deadbolt is typically used on a solid metal or wooden door. Its only drawback is that if there’s any access to the inside (such as through a window that’s in or near the door) then the door can be opened using the thumbturn.
- A double-cylinder deadbolt goes farther. This kind of deadbolt has a key cylinder both on the inside and on the outside of the door. Therefore, if it’s locked, the double-cylinder always requires a key to open the door from the inside. It’s the best choice if you have a door with any glass in it, or if there is a window nearby, because a burglar can’t break the glass and reach in to unlock it. Its one minor downside is that you’ll have to remember to always keep an extra key available on the inside, whenever people are home, so everyone will be able to get out of the house safely in case of fire or any other emergency.
- Let’s take a look at the lockable thumbturn deadbolt, which is basically a combination of the single-cylinder and the double-cylinder deadbolt. This deadbolt provides optimum security and flexibility. With a thumbturn on the inside, it works just like a single-cylinder deadbolt, but you can lock it with a key, so that the thumbturn won’t unlock or lock the door, unless you have the key, too. Furthermore, the thumbturn can be left in the unlocked position while people are inside, but it will still work like a standard single-cylinder deadbolt. That means, whenever you leave, especially if you’ll be away for a long time, the thumbturn can be easily locked.
These are all smart choices in deadbolts ~ but there are plenty more. Topnotch locksmith professionals also recommend the following deadbolt types: rim, mortise, vertical, keyless, and digital.
- Easy to install, the rim deadbolt is bolted to the inside face of the door. The great thing about this kind of deadbolt is that it automatically locks behind you whenever you shut the door, so you can’t ever forget to lock it. (If you often forget your keys, you may not like this one so much!)
- A mortise deadbolt is an excellent choice, because it’s not easily tampered with. Rather old-fashioned in style, you can install this sort of deadbolt in a mortise or recess pocket, cut in the door’s edge. It indeed has extra resilience; but its shortcoming is that you have to penetrate the door frame to make a large hole, which means it may slightly weaken the structure of the door.
- A vertical deadbolt lock is bolted to the inside face of the door, like the rim deadbolt is; but it’s placed on top of the door, making it impossible for an intruder to force it open by placing a bar between the frame and the door. This type of deadbolt is also a cinch to install. A small disadvantage to both the vertical deadbolt and the rim deadbolt is that they’re rather bigger than normal, so some people think they’re unattractive.
- A keyless deadbolt lock is mounted on the inside of the door, but it has a keypad instead of a keyhole. It unlocks when you type in your secret code, rather than turning a key. Since you don’t use a key at all, you won’t ever have to worry about losing your keys again. Another benefit is that, to optimize security, you can change the passcode as often as you wish.
- A digital deadbolt is similar to a keyless deadbolt, with a keypad; but this type requires electricity or batteries. Make sure you always keep the batteries charged, or you’ll be in big trouble in case of a power outage! Another disadvantage to such electronic devices is that there’s a slim chance it could be hacked.
We’ve given you a simple overview here. There are dozens more kinds of locks, one to fit every purpose and locale. If you want to make smart decisions about the ideal locks for your place of residence or your commercial property, it’s good to hire a local Fort Lauderdale reliable locksmith. If you live anywhere in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, you might want to make an appointment with a dependable locksmith such as the mobile experts on staff at Optimal Locksmith Pro, where free consultations are available.
Do you really know the type of help that you can get from a locksmith?
There is more to it than cutting keys, replacing locks, helping you when you’re locked out. These days, locksmiths tend to focus on the holistic side of security. Locksmiths are licensed and insured, meaning that they are fully qualified to provide you with guidance and the right solutions when it comes to all kinds of security issues. So you can rely on these professionals to be able to help you select a safe to protect your valuables, install security systems in your home or commercial building, and help ensure all of your security components (from locks to keyless entry and beyond) are installed properly and working as they should.
As you can see, locksmith services these days cover a lot of ground. In order to help you get a better understanding of the type of work that we do, here is an overview of the different types of services locksmiths are most likely to offer.
The vast majority of locally-based locksmith businesses will provide 24/7 assistance for lock and key emergencies. Not quite sure what that means? Don’t worry, we’ll tell you.
Lockouts tend to be the most common occurrence that locksmiths will attend to on a day to day basis. Whether you find yourself locked out of your car, home, commercial building, or any type of property that needs unlocking, you can count on a 24/7 locksmith service to provide you with the right type of assistance straightaway. The lock and key business you have hired will dispatch a certified professional as soon as they receive your phone call – as one should expect with an emergency service of any kind.
But that’s not the only urgent scenario locksmiths may attend to. It may well be that you are locked inside a building, for instance – in which case, you should be able to call a locksmith and they will be able to get you out. Or, you may have come back to your property to see it has been broken into – that’s where locksmiths can come to your location to provide you with repairs and replacements for any locks and security systems that have been impaired in the process.
We need to emphasize here that a local operator is the best choice in emergency situations. Not only will they get to you a lot quicker, you will also save yourself the hassle of being charged for travel expenses. The best way to avoid this is to keep the number of your trusted local locksmith business in a safe location that you can easily access if you are even in need of urgent assistance.
If you own a car, then this is something that you will benefit from knowing. Locksmith service providers will be able to help you save money in the long haul with some of their services. For instance, instead of going into your car dealer to replace a lost transponder key you can go directly to a locksmith who will do it for a cheaper price. Similarly, if your key is ever stuck in ignition you can count on the help of an auto locksmith – these professionals will have extensive amounts of experience working with all kinds of vehicles and will be able to replace any faulty ignition cylinders when they come to assist.
Locksmiths will also have all the machinery needed to program smart keys and transponder keys; will be able to produce protective features like installing locks and high security sidewinders; and will be able to help you with faulty car doors.
Homeowners can request an array of services from a residential lock and key service provider. What’s even better is that locksmiths can help you along each and every stage of property ownership.
Just moved into a brand new house? Your locksmith can replace your old locks for you. In fact, this is highly recommended for all dwellings, as you never know how many people have spare keys for your home.
Maybe you’re already settled, but feel like you could use a security enhancement? Among the various options you could request from your residential locksmith include deadbolts, keyless entry systems, intercoms, garage door locks, master keys, CCTV installations and so much more.
If you own a gun or need to protect some documents and valuables, locksmiths will have a variety of residential safe options that you can select from. They will even install these and help you get everything set up according to your preference.
Commercial property security
Likewise, business owners can always count on their commercial locksmiths to help them keep all of their belongings secure. Often there is a lot at stake in commercial security, and the type of protection that locksmiths provide reflects that demand.
As such, business owners can choose from a very diverse set of services. For the protection of documents, money or valuables, there are safes and filing cabinet locks; to keep the whole building protected there are access control systems, panic bars, locks and hardware; for urgent services there are break-in repairs and safe unlocking assistance; and various other services to fit with all commercial specifications.
One final point
Keep in mind that not all locksmith businesses are equal. Some may choose to provide you with all of the services above, while others may decide to go on a highly specialized direction. Make sure to inquire with a couple of locksmith businesses in your area before you decide on hiring a professional – that way, you know exactly what services you can get from different businesses and at what cost.
Optimal Locksmith Pro is just one of the reliable lock and key businesses who can help those readers living in Fort Lauderdale, FL. As for everyone else, we hope that we have made it easier to understand the type of services you can expect from your local locksmith service provider. With this basic knowledge handy, you should feel confident that you will be able to find the right professional to help you protect your assets.
When you are about to move into a new home, you probably have a checklist of things you need to do. When you’re making out your checklist we would advise you to include an evaluation of your home security features. If you want to know that you and your loved ones are safe when you lock the door behind you at night, take a little time to make sure that you have all that you’ll need to remain safe inside your Fort Lauderdale, FL home.
There are already enough things that you have to worry about when you move. Are there any infestation problems that you aren’t aware of, do hazardous gases exist, are the locks durable enough to withstand an attempted burglary. All of these are valid concerns and should definitely be considered when you’re about to move into a new home. Taking the time to make sure that all of these things and more are properly considered before moving in could save you from having to deal with a tragedy later. Instead of calling a locksmith, such as, Optimal Locksmith Pro to change your locks, pull out your checklist first and see how you can effectively improve upon your existing security.
Here are a few things to add to your checklist:
Evaluating Your Existing Deadbolt Locks
If you are aware of just how useful deadbolt locks are, you’ll like have them on the doors in your new home. Most people have them as an added source of protection. However, when you move into a new home, the deadbolt locks that are already there may not be the ones that you would buy yourself. The ones that are there may not be designed with the best quality of materials and might not work for your needs. We would suggest that the deadbolt lock you have on your door is made of steel. Anything softer wouldn’t be suitable as a deadbolt lock. If the existing lock is not made of steel, you should replace it with one that is. Make sure that the bolt of your deadbolt goes into the doorframe by one inch. If it does not go in at least one inch, it can be easy to pry open.
A tapered cylinder or free-spinning cylinder is best. If it is not this type, it will be possible for someone to use a wrench to force open the lock. The most common deadbolt lock is a single cylinder lock. This is because they do not require a key to open the lock on both sides. A double cylinder deadbolt lock, while just as durable, can pose a real threat to your safety if there is an emergency and one of the keys cannot be found. Instead, opt for a single cylinder and avoid the possibility of being trapped inside during an emergency. The deadbolt lock is not going to be of use to anyone unless it is used. Make sure you are in the habit of using the deadbolt lock in order to remain safe.
Evaluate the Exterior Doors of your Home
If you’re trying to determine if the deadbolt locks are quality locks, it might be necessary to first make sure the doors that they are installed on are strong and secure. It would defeat the purpose in having deadbolt locks installed if someone could simply kick in the door to gain access inside. Make sure the exterior doors of your home are solid core. This means they are solid through and through. This type of door is heavy and is able to withstand more pressure. It is also the type of door that offers maximum fire protection. If your door is a hollow core door, consider swapping it out for a solid core door. The hollow core doors are not has heavy and this type of door is generally used on interior doors. One of the many doors that is often neglected is the interior door that leads from your house to the garage. Have a solid core door installed here if one does not already exist. Make sure that even if someone is able to get inside your garage, they can’t get inside your home. Finally, if any of your exterior doors are made of glass, consider replacing them with unbreakable glass. Don’t give an intruder easy access into your home by simply smashing the glass and unlocking the door.
Cut Down Bushes and Shrub
This is another aspect of home safety that is often neglected. If you take pride in your homes yard and you’ve planted beautiful trees, plants, bushes and flowers, make sure they don’t provide coverage for a would-be robber. If you want to avoid being startled by an intruder when you come home, late at night, keep the bushes and trees around your home cut down and pruned. You don’t want to provide a hiding place to a burglar who is simply waiting for the right time to break-in.
When doing landscaping around your home, consider home-security. Some security specialists suggest planting bushes with thorns around your home. It is less likely that a burglar will stick around for too long. If you have shrubbery around your new house, cut it down to a minimum of three-feet and cut back any hedges or plants where someone can hide.
Evaluate Your Outdoor Lighting
Now-a-days, outdoor lighting is more than a way to add curb appeal to your home; they serve as a protection to the occupants of the house. Sufficient lighting along your doorway, walkway, porches, driveway and garage offer additional security. If you have these already, make sure that the lights are working. They won’t do you much good if the lights do not work. It is suggested that you also consider adding this same type of lighting to the front and back of your new home. Motion sensors are the best type outdoor lighting to invest in since they pick up on any movement around your home. You are quickly alerted to any potential intruders trying to get into your home and can then contact the appropriate authority to check out the situation. Some lights can also be programmed to turn on and off, as you see fit.